My aunt Carrie gave me this recipe along with quite a few others when we got married. This is a really great meal to take to others because this one recipe makes a ton of food! And you can control the amount of flavor based on how much seasoning you put into the pasta. It’s a really good dish that includes lots of good for you items like tomatoes and bell peppers. And even the pickiest eaters seem to like it!
Recipe Wednesday – Greek Spaghetti
Serves 12 – 16
2 lbs Boneless, skinless Chicken
16 oz Spaghetti noodles
2 bell peppers, diced
1 c chopped Onion
2 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (4 oz) can sliced Mushrooms, undrained
1 (8 oz) sliced Water Chestnuts
1 c reserved Chicken Broth
2 T Greek Seasoning (or less if you want to keep the flavor mild)
1 c Grated Mozzarella
1 c Grated Colby Cheese
– Rinse chicken and place in 5 qt Dutch oven. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 1 hour.
– Remove chicken from broth; remove 1 c broth for use in casserole; reserve remaining broth.
– Chop or tear chicken into bite size pieces.
– Bring remaining broth to a boil and add spaghetti noodles. Cook until tender (add water if needed). Pour cooked noodles into colander.
– Place bell pepper, onion, and tomatoes in skillet and saute until tender.
– In a large (very large!) bowl combine chicken, noodles, pepper, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, water chestnuts, 1 c broth, and Greek seasoning. Toss until thoroughly blended.
– Place in two 9×13 baking dishes. Sprinkle with cheeses.
Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or until heated through.
Note: I put this into 3 square dishes this week when I took dinner to others in our Sunday School class that had just had babies. It filled those dishes to the brim!
Let me know how it turns out if you make it!