Building a house is a lot of work. We put lots of thought into the special touches that would make our house a home. Thankfully, we built in the age of Pinterest so that I could scope out the latest and greatest ideas before we finished building. I ended up finding a lot of ideas that I wouldn’t have thought of. In case you’re building (or thinking about building or remodeling) here are my nine favorite things that I love about our new home.
1. Our utensil pullout in our kitchen. Inspired by a picture on Pinterest, our cabinet makers made this with three stainless canisters for all of our (many!) utensils. This way they’re not cluttering up a drawer and making it hard to open and everything is easy to find. The only downside is when I’ll come and find three spatulas on the floor that James has been using as a teether.
2. Our front porch. This is the view from it and I love sitting here during naptime or with Jason after the kids go to bed and enjoying the view and the weather. We might not get as much use out of it during the winter as we have this summer, but it’s been our favorite hang out this summer!
3. Our mudroom. Right next to the garage door, our mudroom area gets utilized A LOT. The cubbies for each kid are great and the shoe drawers at the bottom are priceless. I love the hooks in them and the shelf above the open area to hang bags and purses. The small shelf allows the kids to sit on it to put on their shoes which is incredibly nice. And the closed cabinets on the end provide lots of storage without having it visible to everyone!
4. The built in banquette. I fell in love with these during the design phase of our house and Marc was kind enough to include one in our house. I sketched out the measurements and our wonderful trim guy made it. It’s a little tricky for adults to get in and out of it without moving the table a lot but it’s perfect for kids. James can sit on it without a booster already and it provides lots of space for lots of kiddo’s when the kids have friends over!
5. My vanity area with a space for my hair dyer and curling iron. Such an unnecessary thing but one that I am so thankful for! Being able to sit down while drying my hair is amazing and having metal containers to stick my hot hair dryer and curling iron in is awesome. And since I sit here at least once every day I’m glad that I enjoy the look and feel of it so much!
6. Our Scotsman ice machine. If these items were in order this one would probably be #1. We love our ice machine that makes “Sonic” ice and it’s a huge hit with everyone who comes to our house. We don’t even have the ice machine in the freezer turned on which gives us more space in there. It’s so nice to have the “good kind” of ice in all of our drinks every day!
7. The kid’s study. While it’s not getting used a ton right now, I know eventually it will be utilized daily. This area makes me happy every time I look at it (even though I don’t have a bulletin board made for the back of it yet!). Created with the idea that the kids and their friends could do homework and work on projects here it’s set up with internet hookups and lots of plugs. It kind of makes me wish that I still had homework so I could do it up here!
8. My office is my sanctuary and the beautiful shelving on one side of it just makes it more special. It gives me space to display “my” things and helps me see the things that I love every day.
9. Luca’s dog room. It deserves a post in it’s own right but so far I haven’t gotten around to it. With tiled walls and plenty of room for his bed, his bowls, and there still be room for him to lay on the cold tile, we think it’s perfect. The fact that Luca doesn’t mind it and goes in voluntarily is also a huge plus! He only complains when he’s in there and it’s storming outside.
So, what’s your favorite thing that you’ve seen from our new house? Did I mention it or did you see something in the posts about the house that you liked more? What do you love the most about your house? I’d love to hear from you!