Cheesecake-Stuffed Dark Chocolate Cake
1 18.25 oz pkg Devil’s Food Cake Mix
3 large eggs
1 1/4 c Milk
1 c Canola Oil
1 T Vanilla Extract
1 t Almond Extract
3 1.55 oz Milk Chocolate Bars, chopped
3 16 oz cans Home style Cream Cheese Frosting
2 7.75 oz boxes Frozen Cheesecake Bites, coarsely chopped
1 12 oz jar Dulce de Leche Caramel Sauce
1. Grease 2 9″ round cake pans, and dust with cocoa.
2. Beat cake mix and next 7 ingredients at low speed with an electric mixer 1 minute; then beat at medium speed 2 minutes. Fold in chopped milk chocolate bars. Pour batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 32 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool cake in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks. Wrap and chill cake layers at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours. This enables you to split the cake layers with ease.
4. Using a serrated knife, slice cake layers in half horizontally to make 4 layers. Place 1 layer, cut side up, on a cake plate. Spread with 1/2 c cream cheese frosting; sprinkle with 1/3 of cheesecake bites. Repeat procedure with remaining 3 layers, frosting, and cheesecake bites, omitting cheesecake bites on top of last layer. Frost sides and top of cake with remaining frosting.
5. Drizzle desired amount of caramel sauce over cake, letting it drip down sides. Chill until ready to serve. Decorate cake with rolled wafer cookies (Pirouline cookies).
* This recipe is from Southern Living. I tried to find the recipe online so that I could link to it but couldn’t find it.